Firstly, let’s look at what exactly is a golf rangefinderA golf rangefinder is an electronic device that allows you to quickly and accurately determine how far away you are from certain points on the course. You can easily use your golf rangefinder to get a quick and accurate yardage estimate. This makes it much easier to decide on what club to hit, and will hopefully help you lower your scores.
Is using a golf rangefinder easy?
Do you know how to use a camera? It’s as simple as that. You just need to look at a target on the course (i.e. flag, yardage marker, tree, etc), and push the button or trigger. The device will shoot an invisible laser beam at the target, which is then reflected back to the device to calculate the distance. The rangefinder will then instantaneously display the yardage for you.
Factors to consider while buying the best golf rangefinderConsidering the no. of rangefinders available in the market, you are bound to get overwhelmed. It’s best to make an informed decision by considering the below factors before making that final purchase of the best golf rangefinder
- Accuracy / Range: Probably the most important factor. After all, if you keep getting yardage information that leads you to use a 6-iron instead of a 7-iron, and you keep overshooting, then using a rangefinder is pointless. Choose a reputable device that is proven to be accurate, and has sufficient range for your game
- Lightweight and Compact: You need to opt for one based on your decision to carry the rangefinder in your pocket or golf bag. Deciding this will help you determine what size and weight of rangefinder will work
- Other features / Accessories: Some rangefinders come with clips, bags, lens cleaners and more. Some of them are waterproof which can be used in the rains as well. Keep this in mind before making the purchase
- Price: Rangefinder range from $100 – $700 for top-of-the-line rangefinders. If you’re amateur, you may just want to opt for the cheaper ones
- Tournament Legal: If you play in professional golf tournaments, you should opt for one that is legal for tournament play
Top 5 Best Golf Rangefinders – Reviews
Bushnell Pro X7 Slope – The LeaderThe sturdy box case of Bushnell Pro X7 slope is probably the most attractive feature. Other than that Bushnell Pro X7 slope is designed with a material of exceptional quality and comes with an eye hook, and elastic above the conventional zip closure which makes it easy to carry the rangefinder while being on the course. Unlike the modern devices, this devices is not very compact. The setup takes 5-7 minutes. It comes with a rugged rubber and water proof casing that increases its longevity. If you’re a serious golfer then this is the one that you should have! Features
- Jolt Technology: Jolt technology produces vibrations as you put a lock on the pin which ensures that your focus remains intact.
- Slope: The most important feature of this product is the slope features which uses an accelerometer for the measurement of elevation between the pin and you, and therefore provides you sloped adjusted calculations.
- Vivid Display: The vivid display allows you to accurately study the readings regardless of the lighting conditions. Even if you are playing in the dark, the measurements will be visible.
- 7x Magnification: Other than slope adjustment, 7x magnification feature allows to study the background accurately with things appearing on the screen seven times closer. It is one of the latest and most recommended advancement.
- Easy readings
- 7x magnification allows better imaging than other devices
- Is able to cover a good amount of distance
- Water proof
- Slope compensation allows reimbursed distance
- Vivid display technology
- Bushnell Pro X7 Slope feature is costlier than other similar devices in the market
VPRO500 Rangefinder – Cost EffectiveVPRO500 Rangefinder is one of the most cost effective product in the market which claims to offer the same level of efficiency, versatility and accuracy as any other product in the market. This product effectively pinpoints the targets while giving you accurate measurement of distance as good as 550 yards. Features
- High technology optics: 6x magnification and optical system allows everything to come close. This has a minus and plus one-yard feature as well. Finger intuitive mode and multi coat optics is what makes it an extraordinary product.
- Trio modes: There are three modes in the device which allows you to find the pin.
- Auto-Target: This feature prevents the interference of signals coming from other devices and only allows you to target the pin you wish to.
- Lightweight and Compact: Not only is it cheaper than other products, it is a lightweight and compact portable device.
- Durable and Sturdy: Glossy surface and padded casing prevents dust and foreign particles.
- It is portable, compact and lightweight
- VPRO500 gives fast measurements readouts with an auto-close feature.
- The controls are simple and adjustable
- Water and dust resistant
- The downside coating is not water resistant and hence cannot be trusted in bad weather
- Exchange technology: This feature allows easy interchange between competition and standard mode.
- Dual Display: This feature of Tour X allows you to snap between red and black display options, as per the weather and light conditions.
- E.S.P2: The light like fast acquisition speed is an advancement to the rangefinder technology. It is fast but maintains the accuracy of measurements.
- 6X magnification: There are many devices offering the same feature, however not all of them work well in difficult light and weather condition. This device ranges from 5-1,300 yards, maintaining the accuracy.
- Jolt Technology: Light vibrations to indicate focus towards the Pin.
- Tour X is easy to carry while playing
- It gives the most accurate yardages with plus and minus accuracy
- You may us it under all sorts of light conditions
- It is expensive
Nikon Coolshot 40i Review – Awesome featuresNikon COOLSHOT comes with a new laser rangefinder technology, beating most of the other products in the market in terms of quality and accuracy. The angle compensation, display and laser technology makes it a product of its own kind. Features
- First target: This technology allows a single target focus which increases efficiency and accuracy.
- Slope and height adjustment: The advanced ID technology (Incline/Decline), allows to adjust the measurement of distance to compensate of downhill and uphill angles and slopes.
- CR2 lithium power ensures a long battery life
- Multiple modes: It gives slope or standard adjustment options with different distance target options
- Ranging Capability: This product comes with a ranging capacity of 8-650 yards
- Rain proof: The casing is rainproof and therefore allows you to play in all kinds of weather conditions.
- Rainproof casing and temperature tolerance ensures utilization of the product in extreme weather conditions.
- Lightweight and compact
- Long rechargeable battery life
- It has easy to use controls and operations.
- Because of the capabilities and power, this product is banned at many tournaments of golf
TecTecTec VPRO DLX Rangefinder – Most AccurateTecTecTec VPRO DLX Golf Laser Rangefinder has earned its popularity within a few months of release. It brings long range accuracy and measurement features along with Flag seeker to impress any player of golf. It has a long battery life and comes with a rain proof casing. Features
- Range: This new rangefinder comes with an extended measurement range, covering a distance of 5-600 yards with absolute accuracy
- Flag Seeker: The PinSensor technology allows measurement of overlapping objects
- Waterproof: It comes with rain and waterproof construction to protect the device from weather conditions
- 6x Magnifier: Objects will now appear 6 times larger with the monocular lens
- It is comfortable and good to carry
- It comes with easy to operate two buttons
- Clear optics
- Waterproof body
- Players may have problem looping snapping to flag seeker mode.
- It is expensive
- Difficult to lock the target